PDA

View Full Version : Discussions about Layering

Taz D
Oct 12 2011, 11:25 PM
This thread is strictly for your feedback on layering.

The instructions for using the Freestyle Farm Designers (https://r1.slashkey.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5275626#post5275626) will be allowed. Examples:

overlapping of waters on water, or moving them off the edges of a farm
or overlapping facilities on facilities, or moving them off the edges of a farm
moving buildings and decorations closer together

You may discuss other types of layering BUT you must not post any type of instruction on how to do those.

Instructions on layering or staggering crops, trees, flowers or placing of anything on top of those are not permitted to be posted on the forum by anyone so please do not ask for help with those. Those will be removed by a moderator.

ckpeer@gmail.com
Feb 29 2016, 06:55 PM
On Feb 21, the devs posted a poll in the feedback section of this forum. The poll asked players if they layered, stacked, did both, or did neither when they planted crops. After noticing the poll, I attempted to vote, but was not able to. I messaged the mods and was told that I should have been able to do so. (I was signed in to the forum.) While I discussed this issue with Taz and Marymarcel, there were 129 votes posted on 2/26/16. Currently, there are 131 votes posted, and I still cannot vote, and the thread is closed. ?

Taz D
Feb 29 2016, 07:49 PM
On Feb 21, the devs posted a poll in the feedback section of this forum. The poll asked players if they layered, stacked, did both, or did neither when they planted crops. After noticing the poll, I attempted to vote, but was not able to. I messaged the mods and was told that I should have been able to do so. (I was signed in to the forum.) While I discussed this issue with Taz and Marymarcel, there were 129 votes posted on 2/26/16. Currently, there are 131 votes posted, and I still cannot vote, and the thread is closed. ?
Hi ckpeer,
The poll has been close so no one can vote now. The developers got the information they wanted to see which was the percentage breakdown of layering vs stack/staggered vs none. Over the course of a week the poll stayed consistent for the percentages. I am sorry you didn't get to vote.

lollymop
Apr 22 2016, 08:39 PM
Is there a trick to harvesting farms that use layers? It takes me forever to harvest. I'm new here and was wondering if maybe there is a quicker way to harvest layers that I am unaware of. I never know if I am getting everything done.

bluehair
May 16 2016, 05:14 AM
with doing work on farms where the crops are stacked layered? where it takes ages...I did some work on layered farm but it was so slow..I went to write the farmer a note to say I could not finish but FT refreshed

Aussie Rae
May 16 2016, 05:58 AM
with doing work on farms where the crops are stacked layered? where it takes ages...I did some work on layered farm but it was so slow..I went to write the farmer a note to say I could not finish but FT refreshed

Some things you can do: Hide everything, only have crops ticked, as the more things the game has to load, the longer it takes and if you don't have a top of the range computer and good internet etc. you may run into difficulties. In Preferences have checked that the Eye toggles between Hidden and On, not on dimmed. Do a section, then keeping the tool you are using in hand, refresh that farm using the green diamond .. don't refresh the game.. and click on save as you work. Also sending a message to the farmer before you start work is a good practice if you think you may get booted.

bluehair
May 16 2016, 06:02 AM
Some things you can do: Hide everything, only have crops ticked, as the more things the game has to load, the longer it takes and if you don't have a top of the range computer and good internet etc. you may run into difficulties. In Preferences have checked that the Eye toggles between Hidden and On, not on dimmed. Do a section, then keeping the tool you are using in hand, refresh that farm using the green diamond .. don't refresh the game.. and click on save as you work. Also sending a message to the farmer before you start work is a good practice if you think you may get booted.

have a reasonably fast computer and on fibre..eye is on hidden..I do this when I am doing any work.

99% of the time I end up leaving the farm anyway...it seems to be only layered farms..managed to finish 13 or so farms on another farm no worries at all (no layered crops)

AnnaWalls
May 16 2016, 04:15 PM

I deal with lag all the time. I have discovered that if I hide all the things you're now doing at that moment - even facilities and decorations - it helps with the lag. Less stuff to load up. If the job requires you to go from say crops to trees - just hide the crops and show the trees.

Dan H
May 17 2016, 10:47 AM
Yes, keep the Eye closed when harvesting layered (stacked) farms. That will definitely help keep the screen clear of visual clutter when harvesting. The Eye can, however, be toggled back and forth to aid with difficult harvests. Most laptops and many older desktops/towers may be slow to respond when processing 30X30 and above layered/stacked farm data, and especially the very large farms. I personally have 2 older laptops and a newer tower (with a very fast CPU), and 300Mbps internet connection (which I actually do not ever attain on any device). The tower is by far faster to use, though, and I also have large capacity tools and combine. I usually do not notice any extreme slowness when using the tower, except on an occasion once when I was harvesting a 40X40 layered farm.

knolan
Nov 08 2017, 09:35 AM
I visited your farms and they are showing so much layering that is why you are getting so many problems, you will have to cut down on layering.

We could try to clear data for those farms, but you have to move all items or you risk losing them.

Why is there suddenly a problem with people layering their farms? I have layered my crops since 2009/10. What did FarmTown do to the tools that changed the number of crops I've been planting/harvesting/plowing?
I have been putting the number of crops for each farm so I know how many I have. Suddenly, since the last update, the number of my crops has completely been reduced by 75%...

Taz D
Nov 08 2017, 10:24 AM
Why is there suddenly a problem with people layering their farms? I have layered my crops since 2009/10. What did FarmTown do to the tools that changed the number of crops I've been planting/harvesting/plowing?
I have been putting the number of crops for each farm so I know how many I have. Suddenly, since the last update, the number of my crops has completely been reduced by 75%...
Hi knolan,
To the best of my knowledge nothing has been changed with the tools. Since creating layering is not supported by the developers and can eventually cause problems then you are on your own about this as we are not allowed to help with any instructions.

knolan
Nov 08 2017, 10:33 AM
Hi knolan,
To the best of my knowledge nothing has been changed with the tools. Since creating layering is not supported by the developers and can eventually cause problems then you are on your own about this as we are not allowed to help with any instructions.

Regardless of whether or not the company supports layering, that's the way most of us have been playing since your game first began. You can't get any more loyal than me & the others that have spent thousands of dollars & millions of hours on the game. It's not just a coincidence that so many people are having the same problem at the same time.

Taz D
Nov 08 2017, 10:37 AM
Regardless of whether or not the company supports layering, that's the way most of us have been playing since your game first began. You can't get any more loyal than me & the others that have spent thousands of dollars & millions of hours on the game. It's not just a coincidence that so many people are having the same problem at the same time.
Hi knolan,
You can believe what you want, but the developers have not changed anything with the tools. The problem with layering is it eventually causes problems such as missing plots, trees or flowers. I am sorry, but there is nothing we can do to help with this.

knolan
Nov 08 2017, 10:39 AM

You have copied & pasted the same message with others, which indicates to me that you have anticipated this happening. I would recommend that whatever the developers have done to create this problem, should reverse it, so that we can all continue playing as we have done, without a loss. A company can't maintain a high level of player spending all of the time. So, if they were trying to find a way for a player to cut back on something in order to increase buying, this is not the way to do it.

Taz D
Nov 08 2017, 10:41 AM
You have copied & pasted the same message with others, which indicates to me that you have anticipated this happening. I would recommend that whatever the developers have done to create this problem, should reverse it, so that we can all continue playing as we have done, without a loss. A company can't maintain a high level of player spending all of the time. So, if they were trying to find a way for a player to cut back on something in order to increase buying, this is not the way to do it.
Hi knolan,
We copy and paste the same message to others because that is the fix when they have a problem. I am moving all of these posts to the General Feedback as you do not seem to havea specific issue.

lndknyn
May 17 2018, 07:40 PM
I have been playing FT almost since the beginning. Since layering seems so be ok for us to do now, considering there are tools to help layer. I was a good soldier and never layered because I thought it was not a fair thing to do. Now I would like to know how since those that do have a leg up on the games. Is there someplace I can find out how to layer or stack?

Taz D
May 17 2018, 07:46 PM
I have been playing FT almost since the beginning. Since layering seems so be ok for us to do now, considering there are tools to help layer. I was a good soldier and never layered because I thought it was not a fair thing to do. Now I would like to know how since those that do have a leg up on the games. Is there someplace I can find out how to layer or stack?
Hi lndknyn,
I am sorry, but even though layering has been let to go on the developers still do not support setting it up and will not allow instructions for layering to be given in the forums. They have provided tools only for working layered fields and not for setting them up.

lndknyn
May 18 2018, 02:18 PM
Ok, Taz, I got the message but hardly seems fair to me. Those who do it illegally get tools to help them do it illegally?

Taz D
May 18 2018, 02:26 PM
Ok, Taz, I got the message but hardly seems fair to me. Those who do it illegally get tools to help them do it illegally?
Hi lndknyn,
Check the Extent tools. There are seeders, harvesters and the combines for working the staggered fields to help those who do the harvesting replowing and seeding. There are no plows for the extent tools that will set it up. These tools were released mainly for those who get hired to do all those layered farms.
Those who set up their farms in staggered fields do not get any tools to help them do this.

FVSH-Katie
Jan 13 2019, 04:54 PM
Despite all the tips and tricks, I find that harvesting a layered farm is only easier if the layered crops are not all ready at the same time. Otherwise, with my trembling hands and bad eyes, it takes forever even on full screen. I would just appreciate being asked if I will do layered fields before being hired. The answer will be no, I do not.

Sqrl
Jan 14 2019, 11:23 AM
I was playing Farm Town when layering first started and I remember then it was made quite clear it wasn't supported and that players who layered would be on their own if it all went wrong. Now personally I think the devs should have either put a stop to it or supported it, not sat back and thrown up their hands, but that's always been the situation. Layer at your own risk.

ccheney
Jan 15 2019, 12:44 PM

The only way to cut down on or stop people from layering is to cut down on the sometimes ridiculous amounts of crops, flowers, trees, and fish we need for a facility. That isn't going to happen so people are going to continue to layer.

Sqrl
Jan 15 2019, 01:30 PM
I don't agree--layering started long before we had anything like this number of facs.

emptysmith
Jan 13 2021, 02:38 PM
I noticed my farms have been reduced from 10 layers to only 2 layers. is this what we can expect now? I had 19 50X50 farms with 10 layers that are my primary reason for continuing to play farmtown after 10+ years with thousands of hours and dollars invested.

JCMIT2000
Jan 13 2021, 02:46 PM
I noticed my farms have been reduced from 10 layers to only 2 layers. is this what we can expect now? I had 19 50X50 farms with 10 layers that are my primary reason for continuing to play farmtown after 10+ years with thousands of hours and dollars invested.

My 9-layer fields are unaffected. Did you have some glitched layers that actually had plots on top of plots?

emptysmith
Jan 13 2021, 03:31 PM
Today was the first day I noticed it. My layered green grapes were on a 50X50 farm and I only harvested 667000 grapes instead of the usual 2,000,000 (approximate). Yesterday everything worked as expected.

leighwj1960
Jan 15 2021, 05:39 AM
Today was the first day I noticed it. My layered green grapes were on a 50X50 farm and I only harvested 667000 grapes instead of the usual 2,000,000 (approximate). Yesterday everything worked as expected.

I've noticed lower than normal harvests on everything but I think that is because I am having to do the work myself instead of hiring a stranger from the market.

Poppy559
Jan 24 2021, 01:01 PM
I get quite upset when I read that layering fields and plowing under buildings, trees, etc is a "trick" It may have started out that way, but, devs have provided tools like the purple hand that HELPS and SUPPORTS the "tricks". I also have it on very good authority from a friend who writes code for a living, that the devs can programme the "tricks".
The "tricks" have become so much part of the way we play that devs and moderators should really consider NOT calling them tricks any more, and see them as the integral part of the game they have become, and give them back to us. Soon!

Taz D
Jan 24 2021, 02:49 PM
I get quite upset when I read that layering fields and plowing under buildings, trees, etc is a "trick" It may have started out that way, but, devs have provided tools like the purple hand that HELPS and SUPPORTS the "tricks". I also have it on very good authority from a friend who writes code for a living, that the devs can programme the "tricks".
The "tricks" have become so much part of the way we play that devs and moderators should really consider NOT calling them tricks any more, and see them as the integral part of the game they have become, and give them back to us. Soon!
Hi Poppy,
The layering has been an unintended addition to the game. They are still tricks and still cause problems with your farms if you do excessive amounts. For that reason the developers will not allow any instructions or help for that in the forums. The purple and even the green hand will allow you to "stack items yes, but there still has to be at least one clear spot (tree size) to set something down. The #EX tools were made to allow the working of existing layering of crops, but no tool has been made that will layer the crops for you.
How much of the layer is available later as the game is being put back together will depend on how well it works in the new language.

leighwj1960
Jan 25 2021, 12:36 PM
Hi Poppy,
The layering has been an unintended addition to the game. They are still tricks and still cause problems with your farms if you do excessive amounts. For that reason the developers will not allow any instructions or help for that in the forums. The purple and even the green hand will allow you to "stack items yes, but there still has to be at least one clear spot (tree size) to set something down. The #EX tools were made to allow the working of existing layering of crops, but no tool has been made that will layer the crops for you.
How much of the layer is available later as the game is being put back together will depend on how well it works in the new language.

If the Devs completely remove the ability to layer then I will quit the game permanently because without the ability to layer it is impossible to keep my facilities full. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this. My only regret is that I have already spent a lot of money on this game

Biker Dash
Jan 27 2021, 06:13 AM
thousands of hours and dollars invested.

Suddenly, the approximately $600 I have spent on FC doesn't seem so extreme anymore...
That being said, I would be highly disappointed if the devs suddenly killed the ability to have stacked farms. On some of my farms, I have three layers of crops under flowers under trees under lakes and rivers under facilities... my end goal being every farm maxed out in size three layers of crops, a layer of flowers, a layer of trees, multiple layers of fishable water, and facilities out the ying-yang lol It'll take a while to get there, but I will.

forever.yours32
Feb 01 2021, 07:45 AM
There are tips n tricks on how to layer trees on top on flowers etc, also plots ontop of plots .Before these tips were found you couldnt do this. its not how the developers indented it to be. They just never fixed the glitches. now since the new switch you just cant do this.

Taz D
Feb 01 2021, 09:51 AM
There are tips n tricks on how to layer trees on top on flowers etc, also plots ontop of plots .Before these tips were found you couldnt do this. its not how the developers indented it to be. They just never fixed the glitches. now since the new switch you just cant do this.
Just to be clear, we do not know what layering will be able to be programmed back into Farm Town yet. The developers want to get all the normal functions added back in first to get the game back to normal function. Then they can work on correcting minor problems and adding what layering they can.

keith of maisie farm uk
Feb 01 2021, 01:52 PM
layering is called cheating by the makers of farm town. yes we all do it. i guess you should wait until the game comes back to full operation and see if it still works then.

Denise Dianna
Feb 02 2021, 08:23 AM
layering is called cheating by the makers of farm town. yes we all do it. i guess you should wait until the game comes back to full operation and see if it still works then.

When they supplied us with tools special for layering it ceased to be cheating.

marymarcel
Feb 02 2021, 08:53 AM
When they supplied us with tools special for layering it ceased to be cheating.

Hi DeniseDJ :)

Tools allow you to work the layering fields, but they dont allow you to do the layering.

Chet Evors
Feb 02 2021, 09:48 PM
1336382078 Not sure but wife and I both have layered farms with large combine and it works great, faster than before! Get into FT with Google. Google is or browser also.
50X50 farms layered 3 times. 20 of those and 11 36X36 also layered 3 times. I use a desk top and wife uses lap top.

Taz D
Feb 02 2021, 09:53 PM
1336382078 Not sure but wife and I both have layered farms with large combine and it works great, faster than before! Get into FT with Google. Google is or browser also.
50X50 farms layered 3 times. 20 of those and 11 36X36 also layered 3 times. I use a desk top and wife uses lap top.
Hi Chet,
It depends on how you have layered. Parts of it will work fine. Some of the heavy layering may not. We don't know how much of the layering works yet and how much the developer can do for the rest of it.

drr30
Feb 03 2021, 03:04 PM
My layered farms work fine. I have notice you can not layer new farms I've tried every laying trick I know and nothing works

Tiger
Feb 04 2021, 10:02 AM
Sorry folks, but it seems we need a little reminder here.
Although we allow some discussions on the subject, I'm sorry but we are not permitted to allow anyone to post instructions on how to layer, so those will be deleted without notice.

earlgray
Feb 05 2021, 10:47 PM
My layered farms work fine. I have notice you can not layer new farms I've tried every laying trick I know and nothing works

Maybe your definition of layering is different from mine, but after reading your post I just did a test and was able to create a small area of layered fields.

earlgray
Feb 05 2021, 10:53 PM

Did you check the amount right after you finished harvesting, or did you reload the game first? If I check right after harvesting it doesn't seem to take into account the bonus amount; I never get the right amount until I've reloaded the game.

HansD
Feb 06 2021, 02:33 AM
After the conversion of the softare, is stacking of crops (9 times more crops/farm) still posible on new farms?

Tiger
Feb 06 2021, 05:15 AM
After the conversion of the softare, is stacking of crops (9 times more crops/farm) still posible on new farms?

Hi HansD,

I have moved your post to the thread were some discussion about layering is. You can read back the last few pages of this thread to see what other members are saying about it, but I am sorry we are not allowed to let anyone post instructions should they find one is working at this time.

drr30
Feb 07 2021, 04:29 PM
Maybe your definition of layering is different from mine, but after reading your post I just did a test and was able to create a small area of layered fields.

after I did that post I found a way to layer it different from the way I used to do it but it will work for now

MOM GLENDA
Feb 07 2021, 07:54 PM
wish i never let anyone change mine from 3 layers to 9 layers .nothing but problems now with placing anything on my farms. be ok with me if Raul says remove the 9 layers ,love farmtown. i will play as long as i am able to play.i will buy cash as long as i play

Aussie Rae
Feb 10 2021, 12:50 AM
I just wish everyone would stop talking about layering farms at the moment... take a breath and wait till the game is back in full before complaining or threatening to quit playing, its just a game.. LOL

Jwebb
Feb 11 2021, 02:00 AM
Wow! I know, Right??

bambi16
Feb 21 2021, 08:22 AM
I have been waiting patiently for the change over, knowing its a difficult process and the devs are doing a great job bit by bit. I have been lucky and have no problems, till i tried yesterday to do 2 layers on one of my smaller farms, and see if that was working. It did it, but not right, and when i tried to harvest the crop i couldn't use any of my tools/combined, i had to do it one plot at a time, which took forever and it wasn't right. So obviously layering is not feasable at this moment, hopefully once the devs have finished this process will work again. By the way, it's only crops i layer, not trees or flowers.

Qivis
Feb 23 2021, 02:11 PM
I just wish everyone would stop talking about layering farms at the moment... take a breath and wait till the game is back in full before complaining or threatening to quit playing, its just a game.. LOL

Hey Aussie Rae,
I know. Kind of silly isn't it? This is part of the reason I asked Taz if he had any suggestions as to dealing with people who need crackers and cheese to go with their whine. :D I forgot this thread even existed since I have long known that overlapping and layering are cheats and the extended tools only exist to help people deal will those of us who layer.

Nautical Dawn
Apr 15 2021, 05:29 AM
I have been away for awhile and I am starting back up with all my farms but, I forgot how I layered them lol. Could someone please remind me, so I can layer my new ones?

Tiger
Apr 15 2021, 05:49 AM
I have been away for awhile and I am starting back up with all my farms but, I forgot how I layered them lol. Could someone please remind me, so I can layer my new ones?

Hi Nautical Dawn,

I have moved your post to the thread where other members have been discussing layering so you can read the most recent posts about what others are saying about this subject.

I am sorry but we are not permitted to provide or let others post the instructions for any kind of layering tricks as those can and have caused problems with farms.

We are aware that not all layering methods are working since the migration to the new platform. We can not tell you if those that are currently not working will be possible to do again. The priority is to get the game back to normal game play without all the various tricks people like to do in the game.

RIAP27
Apr 17 2021, 01:10 PM
Just a question then when it comes to layering crops-they sell the EX tools just for that purpose, no? That would seem to me it is allowed? And should continue to be so?

marymarcel
Apr 17 2021, 01:20 PM
Just a question then when it comes to layering crops-they sell the EX tools just for that purpose, no? That would seem to me it is allowed? And should continue to be so?

Hi RIAP27 :)

You will find the tools to work layered crops but not the tools to create the layers. We dont have Plowers for the EX tools.

RIAP27
Apr 17 2021, 06:34 PM
True. But it might be a cool idea to make plows that do. I'd be VERY interested in that!Hi RIAP27 :)

You will find the tools to work layered crops but not the tools to create the layers. We dont have Plowers for the EX tools.

marymarcel
Apr 17 2021, 06:36 PM
True. But it might be a cool idea to make plows that do. I'd be VERY interested in that!

That will not happen. When the EX tools were released, it was stated they were only to work existing items on the farms, not to create new ones.

RIAP27
Apr 17 2021, 06:46 PM
I understand. Just something to consider for the future.

Gary V Deutschmann Sr
Apr 21 2021, 07:48 PM
Just wanted to let the programmers to know, there are many of us out here who have noticed the many minor things you have fixed over the last few months. The random flowers that needed a second pass, the ponds on farm one that only had a small clickable area, the missing trees and flowers where the avatar lands, etc. All Fixed now! We appreciate all the hard work you have done to keep Farm Town alive and enjoyable. Thank You!

SusieSue65
Apr 28 2021, 05:05 PM
just wondering, when preferences are hidden are the grid lines coming back. I find them really useful when layering ponds

marymarcel
Apr 28 2021, 05:09 PM
just wondering, when preferences are hidden are the grid lines coming back. I find them really useful when layering ponds

Hi SusieSue65 :)

I moved your post to the thread for Discussions about Layering.

Im sorry but we dont know when those grid lines will be added back to the game.

Aussie Rae
Apr 28 2021, 09:57 PM
grass with grid lines is available in the store to purchase, if you tick show ground cover you can see them if you have them on a farm already.. this is a help when planting trees etc... I am NOT talking about layering as I feel there is no need for that anymore with the size of our farms now... 50x50..

TwylahSkye
May 04 2021, 10:47 PM
So we no longer have the ability to layer the farms with the new version?

Taz D
May 04 2021, 10:55 PM
So we no longer have the ability to layer the farms with the new version?
Hi TwylahSkye,
We do not know what layering tricks will currently work or what will work in the future after they get the rest of the functions restored to the game.
We can not offer any instructions nor allow any instructions to be posted in the forums.

alabone2020
May 07 2021, 10:05 PM
Hi, I can't 9x9 plow, with trees and flowers as I was able to do with flash. Having spent a LOT of money on all the machinery I hope that this problem will be rectified.

Taz D
May 07 2021, 10:10 PM
Hi, I can't 9x9 plow, with trees and flowers as I was able to do with flash. Having spent a LOT of money on all the machinery I hope that this problem will be rectified.
Hi Alabone,
We do not know what layering tricks will currently work or what will work in the future after they get the rest of the functions restored to the game.
We can not offer any instructions nor allow any instructions for layering tricks to be posted in the forums.

gibson_v@sbcglobal.net
May 08 2021, 01:21 PM
I can't plow under trees like i use to do.

Taz D
May 08 2021, 01:28 PM
I can't plow under trees like i use to do.
Hi gibson v,
We do not know what layering tricks will currently work or what will work in the future after they get the rest of the functions restored to the game. It will depend on what the developers find that the WebGL is capable of.
We can not offer any instructions nor allow any instructions for layering tricks to be posted in the forums.

RomanticSoul
May 17 2021, 11:07 AM
know ive lost all desire to upgrade my farms since this happened. may cause a lot of people to leave the game. if we can't design the farms the way we want too. and as easy as we used to under flash.

supertrucker
May 23 2021, 06:58 PM
for a number of years now, the developers (and some of the moderators here) have condemned the process of layering crops and/or stacking items on top of each other. if the process is so bad, why are there tools - the multicolored 'freestyle hands' and the 'enhanced tools' that are specifically meant to deal with 'overlapped' (or layered, or stacked, however you want to describe them) crops, trees, water bodies, and flowers?

Taz D
May 23 2021, 07:13 PM
for a number of years now, the developers (and some of the moderators here) have condemned the process of layering crops and/or stacking items on top of each other. if the process is so bad, why are there tools - the multicolored 'freestyle hands' and the 'enhanced tools' that are specifically meant to deal with 'overlapped' (or layered, or stacked, however you want to describe them) crops, trees, water bodies, and flowers?
Hi Supertrucker,
The tools they have released do not do the layering as some are want to do. The EX tools will not create the layering, but only will harvest, replow and plant those fields. That was to help those who work on those fields. The tree flower, and water Turbo tools will only harvest the large amounts of trees, flowers, and waters. They will not layer them where more than one item is on a single square. The freestyle hands are the same as they will not layer anything directly on top oif anything else.

The layering the developers will not allow instructions for in the forums and have always said could cause problems with your farms are placing more than 1 item in a single square the size of a pine tree by tricks.

supertrucker
May 23 2021, 11:05 PM
Hi Supertrucker,
The tools they have released do not do the layering as some are want to do. The EX tools will not create the layering, but only will harvest, replow and plant those fields. That was to help those who work on those fields. The tree flower, and water Turbo tools will only harvest the large amounts of trees, flowers, and waters. They will not layer them where more than one item is on a single square. The freestyle hands are the same as they will not layer anything directly on top oif anything else.

The layering the developers will not allow instructions for in the forums and have always said could cause problems with your farms are placing more than 1 item in a single square the size of a pine tree by tricks.

i get that part, but it's a little hypocritical of them to discourage layering/stacking, but create tools that WILL allow overlapping of almost everything, as well as tools that will harvest, plow, and/or plant layered - or 'overlapped' - fields, trees, etc.

not looking to start a war of words, just trying to figure out whether i should un-layer some farms that are currently used ONLY for crop production (haven't had any issues thus far, but the graphics are a little slow when more than one layer on a farm is planted)

Taz D
May 23 2021, 11:14 PM
i get that part, but it's a little hypocritical of them to discourage layering/stacking, but create tools that WILL allow overlapping of almost everything, as well as tools that will harvest, plow, and/or plant layered - or 'overlapped' - fields, trees, etc.

not looking to start a war of words, just trying to figure out whether i should un-layer some farms that are currently used ONLY for crop production (haven't had any issues thus far, but the graphics are a little slow when more than one layer on a farm is planted)
Hi Supertrucker,
The more you add on a farm the more chance you have of slowdowns and possibly damaging the farm. The problem is some people carry it on too far and cause problems. Sometimes we can fix the damage, but there are times when we can't fix it. The tools were more for the working of those farms specially when you are hired to work them.

That is why we still discourage the layering, because it can cause problems. The layering was never a designed part of the game, but once it was discovered there really wasn't a way for them to stop it. The tools came later.

sstebbens
May 28 2021, 09:49 AM
While not originally allowed it has become part of the fabric of this game. If the ability to layer (9 layers) is removed the longstanding players will not be able to post their farms daily and support the amount of Facilities they have purchased. This means $ to the game owners and a change that would remove a large % of players from playing. My opinion.

Taz D
May 28 2021, 09:58 AM
While not originally allowed it has become part of the fabric of this game. If the ability to layer (9 layers) is removed the longstanding players will not be able to post their farms daily and support the amount of Facilities they have purchased. This means $ to the game owners and a change that would remove a large % of players from playing. My opinion.
Hi Sstebbens,
I moved your last post to the Discussion thread about layering. The Game Migration Thread is not the place for opinions or discussion on layering.

michele37
May 28 2021, 12:12 PM
I am trying to add the new trees to my farms but no matter what I try it shows red and wont let me plant any. What do I need to do? Thank you

Taz D
May 28 2021, 12:17 PM
I am trying to add the new trees to my farms but no matter what I try it shows red and wont let me plant any. What do I need to do? Thank you
Hi Michele,
You need to have a clear space to place the trees. If you are trying to layer them on top of other things that is a layering trick and we can not help you with that. We are not allowed nor can we allow others to post layering instructions in the forums.

BOOBOOP1961
May 31 2021, 01:43 PM
How do you do layers?

marymarcel
May 31 2021, 02:03 PM
How do you do layers?

Hi BOOBOOP :)

I moved your post to General Feedback.

Layering is a trick so you will not find instructions here on the forums. We are not allowed nor can we allow others to post layering instructions in the forums.

RIAP27
May 31 2021, 07:56 PM
Many of us have spent a LOT of $$$ on the EX tools to handle layered crops, trees, water, etc. If they remove all layering, then do we have the right to be compensated for what we spent for such? That is my issue with losing layering. It will hurt the game IMO.

Taz D
May 31 2021, 08:26 PM
Many of us have spent a LOT of $$$ on the EX tools to handle layered crops, trees, water, etc. If they remove all layering, then do we have the right to be compensated for what we spent for such? That is my issue with losing layering. It will hurt the game IMO.
Hi Riap,
No one has said you will lose layering. We do not know what layering methods work now nor which ones will work in the future.

fhardy22
Jun 03 2021, 06:59 AM
I need to add to existing ponds underneath plots and the game will not let me. I hide the plots and it still will not let me.

Tiger
Jun 03 2021, 07:24 AM
I need to add to existing ponds underneath plots and the game will not let me.

Hi fhardy22,

I have moved you post to the thread where others are discussing various types of layering where you can see what others are saying about those, BUT no-one is allowed to post any type of instruction on how to do them.

I am sorry but we are not permitted to help you with layering instruction or allow anyone to post them anywhere on the forum as layering can cause problems and those problems don't always show up immediately. We do know that not all methods are working at this time.

The concentration at this time is to get the more of the features added back to the game. It will be up to the developers if they chose to look at any layering methods when they have more time to do so.

RIAP27
Jun 03 2021, 06:35 PM
Understood. Hi Riap,
No one has said you will lose layering. We do not know what layering methods work now nor which ones will work in the future.

CDobber74
Jul 15 2021, 03:55 PM
Looking for tips on how to properly (and more efficiently) layer big lakes. I am using the orange hand tool.

I see many farm plots that will have lakes covering (very thickly) over the entire plot, but not sure how that works, especially at the end where there's not enough room to place a single big lake before moving it into place.

Thanks in advance

CDobber74
Jul 15 2021, 04:16 PM
I am sorry CDobber74, but layering instructions are not permitted to be posted on the forum due to the problems those can cause.

There's an entire thread about layering here that I posted in. I am not talking about stacking layers of different fields on top of one another. Overlapping water features is exactly what the orange edit/freestyle hand is meant for. No plants or anything else involved, just big lakes on top of one another.

Tiger
Jul 15 2021, 04:34 PM
There's an entire thread about layering here that I posted in. I am not talking about stacking layers of different fields on top of one another. Overlapping water features is exactly what the orange edit/freestyle hand is meant for. No plants or anything else involved, just big lakes on top of one another.

My apologies CDobber74, I didn't get my edit done after reading your question again so you saw what I initially posted. No point in the edit now so I've deleted it.

Plot is another term that we use when discussing fields for crop, which is why I thought you were asking to put the waters on top of them.

CDobber74
Jul 15 2021, 04:39 PM
My apologies CDobber74, I didn't get my edit done after reading your question again so you saw what I initially posted. No point in the edit now so I've deleted it.

Plot is another term that we use when discussing fields for crop, which is why I thought you were asking to put the waters on top of them.

No worries. I have done a lot of searching in the forum for this answer (and some other things, as I was gone for many years before recently returning). I know better than to ask how to stack flowers on top of trees on top of water, etc ;)

SANDIE39
Aug 25 2021, 03:28 PM
What is the new method of layering my field and readying it for planting several layers of crops. I understand the old method does not work. Please send me the instructions, thanks Sandie39

Taz D
Aug 25 2021, 03:33 PM
What is the new method of layering my field and readying it for planting several layers of crops. I understand the old method does not work. Please send me the instructions, thanks Sandie39
Hi Sandie,
I moved your post to the General Feedback thread about layering.
The method is using the dirt path. That is all we can tell you. I am sorry but we are not permitted to help you with layering instruction or allow anyone to post them anywhere on the forum as layering can cause problems and those problems don't always show up immediately.

supertrucker
Aug 27 2021, 12:01 AM
Hi Sandie,
I moved your post to the General Feedback thread about layering.
The method is using the dirt path. That is all we can tell you. I am sorry but we are not permitted to help you with layering instruction or allow anyone to post them anywhere on the forum as layering can cause problems and those problems don't always show up immediately.

if "layering can cause problems and those problems don't always show up immediately.", can anyone define or describe what the problems could be, what to look for, what to expect?

i have a couple of 3-layer farms, just for crops - no trees, decorative stuff, flowers, NOTHING else. should i remove 2 layers from each farm, as a preventive measure against something that MIGHT happen at some unpredictable point in the future?

Tiger
Aug 27 2021, 05:54 AM
if "layering can cause problems and those problems don't always show up immediately.", can anyone define or describe what the problems could be, what to look for, what to expect?

i have a couple of 3-layer farms, just for crops - no trees, decorative stuff, flowers, NOTHING else. should i remove 2 layers from each farm, as a preventive measure against something that MIGHT happen at some unpredictable point in the future?

Hi supertrucker,

The problems can vary as to if or when you might see them so I'm just going to give you an idea of what can happen.

Most of the issues where data has been truncated can't be visibly seen by just looking at what is on the farm or by working what's on the farm which is why people have been doing this for years and may have never seen any problems with them.

Problems sometimes can only be seen when either one more items are added to the farm and things go missing or plots won't stay plowed, or when remodeling the farm they can show up when you find something is stuck and can't be moved/stored/deleted. What ends up corrupted or goes missing can range from a small amount to large amounts going missing or small or large areas of the farm being corrupted. There have also been occasions where there has been more than one person working a farm that is layered at the same time as someone else, that can then show up some of the problems.

The more that is layered the higher the risk and the more difficult it can be to try and correct it..... if it's possible to correct. We have had cases where there has been so much layering on the farm that the farm has become permanently corrupted no matter what has been tried to fix it.

Putting something in the exact same spot as another whether by mistake or by intention, is a bigger risk than overlapping something to get it closer to another. For example if you overlapped just waters, which is allowed, those shouldn't have any problems unless one has ended up in the exact same spot as another, BUT if you were to get something else in the same spot as those like overlapped crops or trees/flowers or even facilites/decor then the risk is much higher.

If your 3x crops don't have anything else on top of them then you're less likely to run into an issue but that doesn't mean that it will never happen.

In a nutshell there are no guarantees that any form of layering will never get any problems.

supertrucker
Aug 27 2021, 12:02 PM
Hi supertrucker,

The problems can vary as to if or when you might see them so I'm just going to give you an idea of what can happen.

Most of the issues where data has been truncated can't be visibly seen by just looking at what is on the farm or by working what's on the farm which is why people have been doing this for years and may have never seen any problems with them.

Problems sometimes can only be seen when either one more items are added to the farm and things go missing or plots won't stay plowed, or when remodeling the farm they can show up when you find something is stuck and can't be moved/stored/deleted. What ends up corrupted or goes missing can range from a small amount to large amounts going missing or small or large areas of the farm being corrupted. There have also been occasions where there has been more than one person working a farm that is layered at the same time as someone else, that can then show up some of the problems.

The more that is layered the higher the risk and the more difficult it can be to try and correct it..... if it's possible to correct. We have had cases where there has been so much layering on the farm that the farm has become permanently corrupted no matter what has been tried to fix it.

Putting something in the exact same spot as another whether by mistake or by intention, is a bigger risk than overlapping something to get it closer to another. For example if you overlapped just waters, which is allowed, those shouldn't have any problems unless one has ended up in the exact same spot as another, BUT if you were to get something else in the same spot as those like overlapped crops or trees/flowers or even facilites/decor then the risk is much higher.

If your 3x crops don't have anything else on top of them then you're less likely to run into an issue but that doesn't mean that it will never happen.

In a nutshell there are no guarantees that any form of layering will never get any problems.

hi tiger, thanks for the reply... as i said, the only thing on those 'layered' farms is crops - and the fields aren't completely on top of each other, they're offset a bit... i have noticed that sometimes the graphics get a bit slow, clearing my caches seems to fix that easy enough. realistically, as long as i'm not trying to harvest all 3 at the same time, it's not much slower than with a single layer.

for now, they're staying, more farms cost too much...

Tiger
Aug 27 2021, 12:34 PM
hi tiger, thanks for the reply... as i said, the only thing on those 'layered' farms is crops - and the fields aren't completely on top of each other, they're offset a bit... i have noticed that sometimes the graphics get a bit slow, clearing my caches seems to fix that easy enough. realistically, as long as i'm not trying to harvest all 3 at the same time, it's not much slower than with a single layer.

for now, they're staying, more farms cost too much...

Hi supertrucker,

If you're already slowing down with 3x crops on only 3 farms, then it sounds like the very heavy layered farms could cause you more of a problem with slowness or possibly not being able to work that many in one go. That's something you can consider before you decide if you want to do more farms with 3x crops depending on what time you have to spend on the game. It's entirely up to you of course.

supertrucker
Jan 08 2022, 07:22 AM
if they (the developers) were really serious about curbing the practice of layering as much stuff - crops, trees, flowers, factories, decorations, etc - onto farms as possible, they would make expanding and adding farms more affordable... when expansions get into multiple BILLIONS of coins, and additional farms cost multiple BILLIONS of coins, no wonder people are trying to get as much income from existing space as they can... not sure where you (the mods) will put this, i couldn't find a similar thread in either the 'suggestions' or 'feedback' sections...

lnews
Sep 16 2023, 02:38 AM
How about you limit the Large farms 40 and above to stop the items and crops that can be layered Have layered crops and items since 2009 no problem till I get the large farms or you need to figure out how to speed it up newbies will not be able to do them anyway and that hurts your bottom line

Taz D
Sep 16 2023, 08:24 AM
How about you limit the Large farms 40 and above to stop the items and crops that can be layered Have layered crops and items since 2009 no problem till I get the large farms or you need to figure out how to speed it up newbies will not be able to do them anyway and that hurts your bottom line
Hi lnews,
If you wish to make a suggestion you need to post it in the Suggestions section where we organize them by subject for the developers to see. You can not start a new thread there but you can reply to one that fits your suggestion.

Ky1960
Dec 28 2023, 04:51 AM
How many plots of plowed ground are on a single layered 60 x 60 farm?

marymarcel
Dec 28 2023, 07:22 AM
How many plots of plowed ground are on a single layered 60 x 60 farm?

Hi Ky1960 :)

See if the information given in the following link helps you:
https://www.slashkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595190

Ky1960
Jan 02 2024, 10:27 AM
Thank you very much.

marymarcel
Jan 02 2024, 11:05 AM
Thank you very much.

You are welcome Ky :)