Go Back   Farm Town > Feedback and Suggestions > General Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Jan 30 2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkRiverRancher View Post

Here in the States, the arithmetic question would have been written:
1 + (5x9) = ? The brackets are used to indicate the separation of the figures. Without the brackets, the arithmetic would be done 'in order' of appearance, which is why you got answers of 54. Also, in the States, the symbol for multiplication is 'x', not '*'.
LOL - well, not really. I am a public school teacher in the US, and rules of operation always state multiply/divide before add/subtract. Actually, it's this order:
brackets
exponents
multiply/divide
add/subtract

and always from left to right inside each order.

Using the symbol "x" is most common when hand printing, but on calculators or computers, you would use "*" to indicate multiplication, since it is a mathematical symbol. A computer wouldn't know what to do with an "x" in the middle of an equation!

And now you have your mini math lesson for the day, just in case you ever get called to play "Are you smarter than a fifth grader"!
Old Jan 30 2010, 09:41 PM

people find creative ways to hire people to weed out the obnoxious beggars. At least thats why I did. There have been times that I asked a question and hired the person who responded by saying something like I wish I knew the answer cuz I really need coins. lol

http://apps.facebook.com/farmtown/pl...3214&farm_ix=Y
Old Jan 31 2010, 06:17 AM

I need to rant...sorry!

I am fed up with...people who come to harvest and don't read instructions given to them....I have a lot of crops under the trees etc....I ask for them to turn the trees off...send them personal messages...send them notes...almost always totally ignored....IT DRIVES ME MAD...I even stipulate what is needed when I hire them, and ask them to ask for work by my name...just to make sure they can read and understand....still ignored.

Then on the other hand....I hate going to work for other farmers who hire a number of workers...who end up falling over one another and getting very little for the pleasure.

Sorry folks ...Rant over
Old Jan 31 2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Buttercup View Post
I need to rant...sorry!

I am fed up with...people who come to harvest and don't read instructions given to them....I have a lot of crops under the trees etc....I ask for them to turn the trees off...send them personal messages...send them notes...almost always totally ignored....IT DRIVES ME MAD...I even stipulate what is needed when I hire them, and ask them to ask for work by my name...just to make sure they can read and understand....still ignored.

Then on the other hand....I hate going to work for other farmers who hire a number of workers...who end up falling over one another and getting very little for the pleasure.

Sorry folks ...Rant over

at my farm to get to the pineapples you need trees off or you cant get them lol. so i go to the market and ask if anyone has trees off and pick the one who said there are off. i learned the ones who respond with a me me or something along those lines dont do it and show up look around and leave. all they had to do was turn the trees off like asked and they would have wall to wall pineapples harvest and plow lol
Old Jan 31 2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Kel View Post
they are prob'ly just being obnoxious
I've been on a farm harvesting and the farmer asked if us if we wanted to plow afterward. I and my co worker said yes please, then he said to us "Sorry I can't hire plowers ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!" I right then and there without fiishing harvesting. Not because I wanted to plow but because this guy was being so obnoxious about it.
Old Jan 31 2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdSalad View Post
LOL - well, not really. I am a public school teacher in the US, and rules of operation always state multiply/divide before add/subtract. Actually, it's this order:
brackets
exponents
multiply/divide
add/subtract

and always from left to right inside each order.

Okay .... 8 ÷ 2 x 2 ÷ 2 = what, exactly? Are you going to do the multiplication, first, or the division, first?
Multiplication, first (2 x 2 = 4), then do the division (8 ÷ 4 (= 2) ÷ 2 = 1)

Division, first (8 ÷ 2 = 4) x ( 2 ÷ 2 = 1) = 4

Or, are you going to do the equation in order 'left to right'

8 ÷ 2 (= 4) x 2 (= 8) ÷ 2 (= 4)

Seems to me that if you 'speak' this equation in a sentence stream

"Eight divided by two times two divided by two" the only way the human mind is going to keep up is by doing the equation in the order in which the numbers are received. You're going to calculate as you receive the information, so you're going to 'see' 8 , divide it by 2 and 'register' 4, then multiply 4 by the next number your brain receives (2), register "8", then divide 8 by "2", and get a result of 4, at the end of the stream of numbers.

My first Texas Instruments hand held calculator (and several I still have) use the obelus as the division symbol, and the lower case 'x' as the multiplication symbol.

BTW, my 'simply' arithmetic 'employment test' is a 'word problem':

"My vineyards yield 525 quarts of grapes. There are 105 quarts of grapes in every dry barrel of grapes. Each dry barrel of grapes yields 2 gallons of wine. How many gallons of wine will my vineyards yield?"

So, teach, what would be your answer?

"What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS!
Then, there would be fewer NUTS running loose -
(or running for public office!)
Old Jan 31 2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medixgrad View Post
I've been on a farm harvesting and the farmer asked if us if we wanted to plow afterward. I and my co worker said yes please, then he said to us "Sorry I can't hire plowers ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!" I right then and there without fiishing harvesting. Not because I wanted to plow but because this guy was being so obnoxious about it.
I would have put him on ignore and left too. I loathe people like that.

http://apps.facebook.com/farmtown/pl...3214&farm_ix=Y
Old Jan 31 2010, 06:04 PM
Account Not Linked

Quote:
Okay .... 8 ÷ 2 x 2 ÷ 2 = what, exactly? Are you going to do the multiplication, first, or the division, first?

Unless there are () around number it is division first then multiplication. So it would be 8/2 x 2/2 so you have 4x1, the answering being 4.

Visit Dolphin's Cove

My name is not Jason. Please call me JAS, if you like.
Old Jan 31 2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:

"Eight divided by two times two divided by two" the only way the human mind is going to keep up is by doing the equation in the order in which the numbers are received. You're going to calculate as you receive the information, so you're going to 'see' 8 , divide it by 2 and 'register' 4, then multiply 4 by the next number your brain receives (2), register "8", then divide 8 by "2", and get a result of 4, at the end of the stream of numbers.

My first Texas Instruments hand held calculator (and several I still have) use the obelus as the division symbol, and the lower case 'x' as the multiplication symbol.

BTW, my 'simply' arithmetic 'employment test' is a 'word problem':

"My vineyards yield 525 quarts of grapes. There are 105 quarts of grapes in every dry barrel of grapes. Each dry barrel of grapes yields 2 gallons of wine. How many gallons of wine will my vineyards yield?"

So, teach, what would be your answer?
As multiplication and division belong to the same class, just see if there're brackets. If yes, follow the brackets; if no, do it from left to right.

Actually "eight divided by two times two divided by two" is ambiguous? As it is possible that the second "divided" is applied to "eight divided by two times two", or to only the "two" before it. It can be read as: eightdividedbytwo - times - twodividedbytwo. Just a thought.

As for your word problem, 525/125 * 2 = 5*2 = 10. Right? In writing it'd be 525 ÷ 125 x 2 = 5 x 2 = 10

(Why are we discussing math in this thread anyway. LOL Though math is undoubtedly useful in calculating which crops is the most ludicrous in Farm Town. )
Old Feb 01 2010, 11:55 PM

The order of priority is multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

The mnemonic is, "My Dear Aunt Sally."

You don't divide first, you multiply.

8 ÷ 2 x 2 ÷ 2 =

8 ÷ (2 x 2) ÷ 2 =

8 ÷ 4 ÷ 2 =