Go Back   Farm Town > Feedback and Suggestions > General Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Mar 20 2010, 02:51 PM
Account Not Linked

I had a blast this morning in the marketplace. I had some extra time so I decided to take some jobs and it was a lot of fun seeing what everyone planted. I'm not in dire need of points so harvesting potatoes and or watermelon was just out right fun. I felt kind of bad watching people beg to plow on one farm after they harvested. And then felt a little bad that I had to leave and get some stuff done and I wasn't sure if I was going to finishing plowing one of the farms I was hired at. I'm not the speediest plower but I try.

Anyhow, it was just a joy to get around and look at other people's farms while working on them and not be overly concerned about their hiring practices, planting practices etc.
Old Mar 20 2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Soliloquy View Post
I've been FarmTowning it for a year now and pretty much seen it all.

I hire exactly how I myself like to be hired which is:

One person on each farm to harvest with an offer of ploughing after. I ask if they want the work for themselves or need help. 100% of the time they're happy to work on their own (I can relate to that).

I plant crops that I myself enjoy harvesting, in other words high yield crops such as pineapples, cotton, peppers etc.

If I want to level up, I plant raspberries and harvest myself then offer the ploughing at the MP to people with good manners standing around the edges keeping themselves to themselves. The only 'test' I'm interested in, is whether people have good manners or not.

With regards to silly little games people play - Example: Was hired yesterday with 4 others to harvest 3 trees then got told to stop standing there and hop to it LOL - Seriously, I left laughing. Some people are too sad and pathetic to get mad at, they really are.

From an employee point of view. I'll happily do any work that I'm hired to do be it trees, grapes, ploughing etc etc. I actually like the element of surprise especially when it's a big field of pineapples - Aren't they the best?

I would NEVER stand in the MP and state 'solo plough only' or 'don't do trees' or 'only harvest pineapples' - I'm sure progression in the game with that attitude is slowwwww.

Best way to get hired is to clearly state that you're available for work once every 2 or 3 minutes.

As far as glitches go, I've been booted by the server that many times I've lost count and then felt really guilty that the hirer may have thought I just left without saying thank you - But what can you do when it's not your fault? When my farm is half harvested/ploughed I just think it's a shame they lost the work because of the server.

I've also left farms where other employees are being down right rude by moving in on a patch that I'm clearly methodically working - There's no need for it.

Got in a squabble only once with a lady who ploughed a divide line down the ahem "middle" of a field. I counted the rows, the ratio was 18:13 in her favour. I knew she'd laid out a boundry that I WASN'T to cross so when my 13 rows were ploughed I crossed it to see if she'd say something. Sure enough, she soon started to complain so I just ignored her, ploughed two more rows, said thank you to the nice farmer and left...

I've learnt that you have to take this game with a very big pinch of salt. If people behave in a way that you don't like, either walk away or put them on ignore. Simples.
I think this is sound, thoughtful practice. Well done!
Old Mar 20 2010, 10:52 PM

I'm beginning to think I am going to have to start babysitting my employees. When I hire them and leave and then back later only part of the field is harvested or plowed, trees aren't touched or just harvested here and there. If I stay the field is completely cleared or plowed and trees done.
I at first thought that maybe due to glitches, people were kicked off the farm but since this is everytime I have hired people (I usually hire 2) in the last week or so I am wondering. None of the housekeeping tricks, clearing cache, refreshing etc... changes anything so that seems to leave the employees not doing what they are hired to do.
I know it's only a game but if you are hired kindly finish what you start.
Old Mar 21 2010, 08:54 AM
Account Not Linked

I know in the past I haven't finished what I started because my real life has gotten in the way. Children needing stuff, elderly parents needing stuff people stopping over and phone calls all take precedence over a computer game. Or sometimes I think I can finish before going to work or an appointment and I can't and I don't always have time to give the farmer an explanation on where I'm going or what is going on in my life.
Old Mar 23 2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
I know in the past I haven't finished what I started because my real life has gotten in the way. Children needing stuff, elderly parents needing stuff people stopping over and phone calls all take precedence over a computer game. Or sometimes I think I can finish before going to work or an appointment and I can't and I don't always have time to give the farmer an explanation on where I'm going or what is going on in my life.
There is the option of leaving a note before leaving their farm. Some use this to say thanks for the work when the owner of the farm has already left. If something in the real world interrupts, how about a quick "something unexpected in the real world and must leave game?"

Does this sound workable?
Old Mar 23 2010, 11:29 PM

"sorry, rl" is more than enough and takes only 5 seconds at most to type.
Old Mar 24 2010, 05:25 PM

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to FT and have learned a lot about hiring and working on others farms just by reading this thread. However, I have one question. When I hire someone to harvest my farm, how do I get them to plow it when they are through? I know I can ask them, but how do I enable that for them? I hired someone to harvest my field and I asked them if they wanted to plow. They said "yes" then they stood there. Were they waiting for me to do something?

Advise is greatly appreciated!

Signed,
A Newbie
Old Mar 25 2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
I don't have a problem with that at all.

Since the second farm was added I have had between 1800-1900 fields planted and usually hire from the MP multiple times a day to harvest and plow them.

People come and go all the time. Connection problems, real life problems.

I've rarely had anyone leave a note that they had issues but it's happened. I wouldn't think any less of you if you didn't. I'd just go grab another person to finish the job.
Old Mar 25 2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medixgrad View Post
I'm beginning to think I am going to have to start babysitting my employees. When I hire them and leave and then back later only part of the field is harvested or plowed, trees aren't touched or just harvested here and there. If I stay the field is completely cleared or plowed and trees done.
I at first thought that maybe due to glitches, people were kicked off the farm but since this is everytime I have hired people (I usually hire 2) in the last week or so I am wondering. None of the housekeeping tricks, clearing cache, refreshing etc... changes anything so that seems to leave the employees not doing what they are hired to do.
I know it's only a game but if you are hired kindly finish what you start.
I'm guessing it's coincidence more than anything else.

I don't often work for others but I would never notice if you are there are not.

Most unfinished work is, I'm guessing, related to connection issues. I see no difference between being there and not being there. Stuff happens.

Now, trees are the exception.

If you want trees harvested you have to specifically ask for someone to do them. Most experienced workers will have their trees turned off and won't even see them. Plus, most would never do them unless asked. People are finicky about their trees and a lot of people don't want them done. That's handy because they are really not worth much for the harvester or the farmer.

Also, people may not see your instructions to harvest trees. A lot of people like to work in full screen mode and once in full screen all communication ceases.
Old Mar 25 2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyLo View Post
Hi everyone. I am fairly new to FT and have learned a lot about hiring and working on others farms just by reading this thread. However, I have one question. When I hire someone to harvest my farm, how do I get them to plow it when they are through? I know I can ask them, but how do I enable that for them? I hired someone to harvest my field and I asked them if they wanted to plow. They said "yes" then they stood there. Were they waiting for me to do something?

Advise is greatly appreciated!

Signed,
A Newbie
you have to click them and select hire to plow keep in mind you need 10 neighbors to hire to plow